Friday, March 24, 2017

The Other Rite of Spring

I have a favorite greenhouse/garden center I've gone to since we moved to Bean Hill and began some really serious perennial gardening. Baker's Acres in Alexandria is family owned and operated, and specializes in perennials for the yard, as well as unique tropical plants for indoor gardening. I drive through pleasant country roads to get there, enjoying farm fields, horses (Licking County is popular with the horsey set), and the heron rookery with dozens and dozens of large heron nests perched high up in the trees. If you pass the rookery as the sun is beginning to set, you see the heron parents and their babies in silhouette, which is a pretty neat sight.

When I'm just going on a scouting expedition to Baker's, I take Kaytee, because dogs are welcome. Everyone who works at Baker's is knowledgeable about plants, and happy in their work. Shoppers are friendly and considerate. I mark the annual re-opening on my calendar, because between loads and loads of beautiful plants, colorful pots, fun garden art, and nice people, a trip to Baker's is guaranteed to inspire, delight, and just make ya feel good.

A trip to Baker's on opening day is a much-anticipated rite of Spring, a rite that Kaytee and I happily performed this beautiful spring-time afternoon.


No comments: